Caring for Invisalign®
Caring for your Invisalign® aligners
The ability to remove your Invisalign® is a great advantage so should take the aligners out to eat and drink; but that doesn’t mean they don’t get dirty. Keeping your aligners clean is a critical part of your treatment, plus it is really the only way to keep them invisible, odorless, and free from germs, which is very important! Without conscientious care and cleaning, you aligners can discolor, smell, and build up deposits of plaque and bacteria that can erode away at the enamel of your teeth. Thankfully, caring for them is pretty easy when you follow these simple Do’s and Dont’s when wearing Invisalign®.
- Rinse Every Time: Any time you take your aligners out of your mouth, rinse them thoroughly under running water. This will rinse away bacteria, saliva, and food particles.
- Use Clear, Anti-Bacterial Soft Soap: This is a great way to keep your aligners free of bacteria and plaque.
- Brush Carefully: Ideally, you want to brush them every time you take them out or put them back in – but be careful, as overzealous brushing can leave visible marks and scratches. You can use a soft tooth brush to minimize scratching.
- Soak Regularly: Invisalign® offers specialized cleaning crystals to soak your aligners in regularly. –
- Brush Your Teeth: Proper care and cleaning isn’t just about clean aligners – your teeth need to stay clean, too! Be sure to brush and floss your teeth regularly to prevent build up of plaque and bacteria under the aligners.
- Eat or Drink: Foods and colored drinks can stain your aligners and leave an unpleasant smell, so stick with water while you’re wearing them.
- Use Toothpaste: Toothpaste is great for your teeth, but it can harm your aligners. When you brush them, do so gently and without paste.
- Use Scented or Colored Soap: Make sure to use only a clear soap when cleaning your aligners as colored soaps may discolor them.
Do I have to change my nightly routine?
Your bedtime routine can continue as before, with the simple addition of cleaning your aligners. You won’t be struggling with trying to floss and brush in between brackets and wires, which can be time-consuming.
What’s the best way to clean my aligners?
The best way to clean your aligners is to use the Invisalign Cleaning system. As a secondary method, however, your aligners can also be cleaned by brushing them and rinsing them in lukewarm water.
Traveling With Invisalign®
In general, you should carry at least three pairs of aligners with you when you travel – your current set, your previous set, and your next set. If you’ll be out of town for more than a few weeks, we recommend taking more.
While the removability of Invisalign® makes them hugely convenient, it can also cause problems – particularly when traveling. It’s all too easy to misplace them, break them, or even leave them in another country when traveling. If you’ll be traveling with Invisalign®, here are some helpful tips for taking care of them on the go:
- Keep a Supply: In general, you should carry at least three pairs of aligners with you when you travel – your current set, your previous set, and your next set. If you’ll be out of town for more than a few weeks, we recommend taking more.
- Extra Case: It’s easy to lose a case, so we always recommend bringing a backup just in case.
- Rinse when Necessary: While it’s best to brush them every time you take them out or put them back in, at a restaurant in another country, this may not be practical. At a minimum, you can rinse out your mouth and aligners before putting them back in, then brush once you’re back in your room.
If you have additional questions please let us know and we will be happy to help you!